Recently someone asked me if I had a link on my blog to a pumpkin pie recipe. While I have made several pumpkin pies in my baking existence, never have I once put one here. Some I have made with maple syrup (and when I’m feeling more saucy…maple whiskey), some I have made with condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk milk…however, without further ado, my basic pumpkin pie recipe:
Classic Pumpkin Pie
- 1 single flaky pie crust
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups of fresh pumpkin puree (not spiced)
- 12 oz. evaporated milk (1 can)
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Roll out bottom crust and place into 9-inch standard pie pan. Place in refrigerator.
2. Combine sugar, salt, and spices in small bowl. Beat eggs into a large bowl. Stir in the pumpkin and then the sugary spice mixture. Stir in the evaporated milk.
3. Gently pour the filling into the chilled pie crust.
4. Bake on the center oven rack for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350, rotate the pie 180 degrees so that the side of the pie facing the back of the oven is now facing the front. Continue to bake for 40 to 50 minutes. If the crust starts to get too brown, cover outer edge of crust with tin foil or use a crust guard.
Sometimes things come together in a perfect storm. As I sit and listen to the winds of Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/Noreastercane outside, inside I am enjoying a slice of this much more pleasing mixture of ingredients in my new Caramel Apple Butter Pecan Pie…in a cinnamon graham cracker crust of course!
I must be honest…I love butter…in fact, I love BUTTERS…salted, unsalted, compound butters, nut butters, and FRUIT butters! That being said, when Musselman’s contacted me to see if I would like to create a recipe using their delicious apple butter, I jumped at the chance!
I was not fully prepared for the party in my mouth this pie brings. It came out so well in fact that I think it will be gracing my Thanksgiving table this year!
You want to know what the best news is? Musselman’s is giving one of YOU, my lovely readers, your very own jar of apple butter! Or, if you can’t wait to see if you’ve won, Musselman’s also has a limited time offer coupon that you can use to grab a jar pronto.
If you would like a chance to win a Mussleman’s prize pack including a jar of Musselman’s Apple Butter, a hand-crafted kitchen tool and recipe cards to make your own delicious fall treat, please leave a comment telling me what you would make with your own jar of apple butter.
You can earn a second entry by following me on Twitter and leaving me a comment saying that you’ve done so or that you already do (thank you!).
Contest ends November 9th 11:59PM EST. Winner will be drawn at random.
Caramel Apple Butter Pecan Pie
- 1 ¼ cup cinnamon graham crackers
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
Apple butter filling
- 2 cups apple butter
- 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Pecan crumb topping
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup caramel