Recently someone asked me if I had a link on my blog to a pumpkin pie recipe. While I have made several pumpkin pies in my baking existence, never have I once put one here. Some I have made with maple syrup (and when I’m feeling more saucy…maple whiskey), some I have made with condensed milk, evaporated milk, milk milk…however, without further ado, my basic pumpkin pie recipe:
Classic Pumpkin Pie
- 1 single flaky pie crust
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups of fresh pumpkin puree (not spiced)
- 12 oz. evaporated milk (1 can)
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Roll out bottom crust and place into 9-inch standard pie pan. Place in refrigerator.
2. Combine sugar, salt, and spices in small bowl. Beat eggs into a large bowl. Stir in the pumpkin and then the sugary spice mixture. Stir in the evaporated milk.
3. Gently pour the filling into the chilled pie crust.
4. Bake on the center oven rack for 15 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 350, rotate the pie 180 degrees so that the side of the pie facing the back of the oven is now facing the front. Continue to bake for 40 to 50 minutes. If the crust starts to get too brown, cover outer edge of crust with tin foil or use a crust guard.