When making goodies with maple syrup, I always like to use copious amounts of nature’s nectar. Bonus when adding booze. Am I right? Welcome to maple whisky spice pie.
I’ve been wanting to make a maple pie for ages, but never found a recipe that seemed to inspire. Then I found Crown Royal’s Maple Whisky and knew the time was right to make this sweet dream come true.
If you like maple sugar candy and you like whiskey and you like pie…then this is the dessert por vous!
Maple Whisky Spice Pie (adapted from John Phillip Carroll)
- single flaky pie crust
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cups pure dark maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons maple whisky
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Roll out the dough and place into the pie pan. Trim and decorate the edges as you see fit. Prick the bottom several times with a fork. Brush lightly with one egg and a splash of milk (optional). Prebake crust for 12 minutes. Take out and set aside to cool.
- Combine flour, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Put butter in a large bowl and beat until smooth and creamy. Add flour mixture and beat until evenly mixed. Add the egg yolks and beat again until fully combined. Whisk in maple syrup and whisky. Add cream and whisk mixture until smooth. Pour into prepared pie shell.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then reduce the temperature to 325°F and continue to bake for 45 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove pie and set aside to cool.
- Allow pie to cool for at least 2 hours or overnight before serving.
Sometimes things come together in a perfect storm. As I sit and listen to the winds of Hurricane Sandy/Frankenstorm/Noreastercane outside, inside I am enjoying a slice of this much more pleasing mixture of ingredients in my new Caramel Apple Butter Pecan Pie…in a cinnamon graham cracker crust of course!
I must be honest…I love butter…in fact, I love BUTTERS…salted, unsalted, compound butters, nut butters, and FRUIT butters! That being said, when Musselman’s contacted me to see if I would like to create a recipe using their delicious apple butter, I jumped at the chance!
I was not fully prepared for the party in my mouth this pie brings. It came out so well in fact that I think it will be gracing my Thanksgiving table this year!
You want to know what the best news is? Musselman’s is giving one of YOU, my lovely readers, your very own jar of apple butter! Or, if you can’t wait to see if you’ve won, Musselman’s also has a limited time offer coupon that you can use to grab a jar pronto.
If you would like a chance to win a Mussleman’s prize pack including a jar of Musselman’s Apple Butter, a hand-crafted kitchen tool and recipe cards to make your own delicious fall treat, please leave a comment telling me what you would make with your own jar of apple butter.
You can earn a second entry by following me on Twitter and leaving me a comment saying that you’ve done so or that you already do (thank you!).
Contest ends November 9th 11:59PM EST. Winner will be drawn at random.
Caramel Apple Butter Pecan Pie
- 1 ¼ cup cinnamon graham crackers
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- ¼ cup sugar
Apple butter filling
- 2 cups apple butter
- 1 12-oz can evaporated milk
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
Pecan crumb topping
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup caramel